Saturday, July 27, 2013

Hypotheses Part 1

I'm going to try again to focus on short-form publishing here. I'm starting yet another series of posts called "Hypotheses". I am well known as having random ideas float through my head. Some of these are ideas about how some part of existence works. I'll share some with you in this series.
Have you ever marveled at dogs' olfactory acumen? Give a bloodhound a sock, and he'll find a lost person. Or so the movies say. Have you also ever marveled at how smelly we can get by the end of a day?

Recall that daily showering is a very late phenomenon in the course of human evolution. We don't read perpetual complaints of people stinking in historical accounts, which means the stench we acquire used to be easily tolerable. But now we diligently wash away our natural odors daily, and frequently apply more redolent replacements. Still, how many of you have learned your partner's smell? Not the fragrance worn, but the natural musk? I am willing to bet most of you. Here's my hypothesis:

Suppose you grew up in a dark cave your entire life. Having evolved these exquisitely sensitive light sensors we call eyes, and having never strained them, stepping into sunlight for the first time would be overwhelming or excruciating. Maybe it's the same with the smell of people.

Noses are appreciated as keen chemical sensors, but I posit that we are evolved to be particularly sensitive to the range of human smells. Our deprivation of that stimulus leads what used to be a normal and varied experience to be singularly and intolerably malodorous.

This can't be too hard to validate or falsify. Try getting stinky with your most loved one, and tell me how it goes. Trying this with a house full of roommates would be even better. Some desensitization is necessary to overcome the initial shock, but maybe by the third or fourth day, you'll start to like it. I bet you'll be able to tell different people apart. You may even be able to tell their moods. But please do shower if you decide to report to me in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment