Friday, September 16, 2011

ToreAmix

I write a blog post on remixes, and in less than a week I discover a perfect example of a high-concept remix album being released by Tori Amos.  I confess I am not familiar with her discography, but I gather that her latest album, Night of Hunters, is an exceptional one.  You can listen to it in its entirety for free at the link, presumably until the release date of September 20.

This album is released on the esteemed German classical label, Deutsche Grammophon.  It's a modern day song cycle.  These collections of songs centered around a common theme were popular in the late Classical and Romantic eras and are worthy of a post of their own.  In this case, a continuous narrative spans the entirety of the cycle.  Each song is essentially a remix of pieces spanning 400 years.  Amos's vocals and piano work are accompanied by, among others, the principal clarinetist of the Berlin Philharmonic, an award-winning string quartet, and her daughter and niece.

The lyrics (libretto?) follow one half of a "shattering" couple on a spiritual journey through space and time with a childlike shape-shifter as guide.  Many of the individuals met along the way are represented by various instruments.  The story resolves in acceptance of individual misfortune and appreciation of the vaster calamities in the world. (Amos explains her album here.)  Why such a mythical narrative for this moral?  In Amos's words: "I decided to take it to a place that I understood and a place that has mythology, because good song cycles -- there's a level of otherworldliness -- that's why it works. To me, if it doesn't have a poetic subtext going on, and the characters don't come in that take us on some kind of spiritual quest, then I don't think it will last for 50 years or 100 years. It has to transcend time in a way -- and yet reflect the time you're in."  Wagner would wholeheartedly agree.

I invite you to listen to the album even if you don't have time to analyze the lyrics.  I haven't had the chance to sit for that long myself.  But it's wonderful music.  I leave you with the track listing with links to the sources for each song.  Enjoy!

1. Shattering Sea
2. SnowBlind
3. Battle of Trees
4. Fearlessness
5. Cactus Practice
6. Star Whisperer
7. Job's Coffin (Inspired by Nautical Twilight.  Not sure I get that.)
8. Nautical Twilight
9. Your Ghost
10. Edge of the Moon
11. The Chase
12. Night of Hunters (The second melody is hard to place, but it's there.  Start at 0:39 in the chant, 3:23 in the song.)
13. Seven Sisters
14. Carry

No comments:

Post a Comment